Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Many Facets of a Vow Renewal Ceremony

No matter what light shines on a vow renewal service it is a beautiful thing. While the love at a wedding is certainly beautiful and pure, the love celebrated in a vow renewal is deep and encompassing like the roots of a great oak or the depths of an ancient spring.

Perhaps one of the most touching moments of my ministerial career – of which there are many – was a vow renewal service I did for a couple who had eloped fifty years earlier. I was touched in the very beginning after having been approached by a daughter of the “bride.”  I was moved at what a sweet gesture the children of this woman were willing to make for her as her first wedding was an elopement service, done by a Justice of the Peace in South Carolina.

The story goes that he had to run down to the corner gas station that he owned to get his seal so he could notarize their wedding certificate. This woman had dreamed of having a real wedding one day and it finally came true on her 50th wedding anniversary.

She was so surprised when a minister appeared at their special meal in a side room at a local restaurant. I stepped up and they stood before me and with tears in her eyes, she said “I do” in front of her families, children, and grandchildren. I was very moved at what a loving and giving family it was standing around me.

A vow renewal service is also a way for couples to reconnect after going through a bad patch in their marriage or to get closer together after years of being pulled apart by work and family. In these economic times the true values of love and togetherness are replacing the values of earning and spending and a vow renewal is a great way to re-establish the footing of your relationship for not a lot of money.

The logistics of a vow renewal are very easy as it can simply happen at a party wherever it is held – at home, in a restaurant, at an events facility or a bed-and-breakfast, in the fellowship hall or sanctuary of your church or at the botanical gardens. There are none of the trappings of a real wedding except for maybe some flowers for the bride. You don’t need bridesmaids or groomsmen, ring bearers or flower girls; just a minister, a couple, a family, and lots of love to last for years to come.

If you need help planning your vow renewal service you might consider calling Jessie Patton from Wild Flower Events Services. She has tons of experience and can help you no matter how big or small your event will be. Visit her website and contact her to plan your wedding or vow renewal service. As I always say, choose experience. Your wedding day is worth it.

-Rev. Sam

PS. If you don't need me for your minister and you like folk/popular music played on an acoustic guitar, I can do that. I don't do classical but rather romantic popular songs from Bing Crosby to modern times. Here is a song I wrote while marrying a couple back in the late 90's. They were a sweet couple and very inspiring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajLLPstg0n8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments. I review all comments before allowing them to show.

Thanks,
Rev. Sam