Saturday, May 28, 2011

Something New Under the Sun

As we move into the summer months I realize that most brides and grooms do not realize the ramifications of choosing a wedding location that is in the direct sun during the heat of summer. When planning a summer wedding in January, that spot on the lawn right out in the open seems wonderful. However, when the temperatures are hitting 100 degrees in June, it won’t be so wonderful anymore.

So, I am instituting a new policy that will hopefully force brides and grooms to consider the uncomfortable situation they are setting themselves up for.

Henceforth, for all daytime, outdoor weddings between May and September shade MUST be provided for me. If a couple chooses to stand out in the direct heat for their wedding that is OK, but shade must be provided for me even if it is nothing more than an umbrella.

I know this sounds tough, but again and again it happens to brides and grooms: they fail to consider the heat and then just MELT on their wedding day, putting a damper on the good feelings that weddings generate.

Outdoor weddings are great. I love them. Brides love them because they feel closer to God. They like to get married in the “big room” as I like to say. But as most folks don’t get married many times in a lifetime they forget the stress of a wedding ceremony – no matter how simple the service is – and how standing in the direct heat of the sun compounds it. I have seen brides and grooms stand in front of me with steady streams of sweat pouring off their noses because they failed to take the Southern heat into consideration when they picked out their day, place, and time for their wedding.

So please, for the love of all that’s holy, when picking your spot to get married, please make sure it is a shady spot – for you, for me, and for the people attending your service. And as great as the outdoors is, air conditioning is the best wedding present you will ever get on your wedding day during the summer months. Trust me on this.


-Rev. Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments. I review all comments before allowing them to show.

Thanks,
Rev. Sam