Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Elopements: Keeping it Real (Simple)

Now that all the informational stuff is done (see my earlier blog entries) I can turn my attention to more topical matters that apply to everybody, not just those who can choose their minister, location, service, vows, props, etc. I realize now that all of the earlier posts are what I cover in phone calls and meetings with brides and grooms, so when we meet, you can expect to hear those things from me if asked.

Today I want to talk a bit about elopements. In this economy, many people are choosing to elope and then have a second, bigger wedding at a later time when money is better. Sometimes I’m the elopement minister, sometimes I’m the big wedding minister – sometimes I’m both.

It’s funny that the majority of vow renewals I do – especially the fifty year ones, which are the most popular -- are couples that eloped the first time around. Things were different back then. It’s a wonderful, thoughtful gift when a family hires me to do a fifty-year anniversary vow renewal for their parents. And when the first wedding was an elopement, having a real wedding fifty years later, with the family closely gathered around, makes for a very special moment in your lives. I love my job.

Here’s the long and short of elopements. Mostly it’s short. Typically, an elopement service is at my home. This is the most cost effective way to do it. For a small fee you can simply choose between a religious service and a civil service. I have short ceremonies prepared for just the three of us. It saves you money if you choose this option. If you want to customize your service (see my earlier posts about creating your own service and vows) then I usually charge a little more.

My elopement services are meant either for the three of us (Georgia does not require witnesses) or for a very small group of attendees. For my elopement services at my home I ask that you limit the wedding party to six adults, total. That means you can each bring two people with you.

I do lots of elopement services at places other than my home, but the cost goes up when I have to travel. These are called destination elopements. I love to do destination elopements, especially at places like Tallulah Gorge and the Botanical gardens. Any scenic spot will work for an elopement service when you keep it REALLY small.

There are some very nice Bed & Breakfast locations in North Georgia that are very flexible with prospective couples for hosting weddings. Near Athens there is the Thompson House and Gardens – a wonderful spot out in Bogart.

Here in Watkinsville there is the Ashford Manor. Next to it is the Ashford Memorial Methodist Church, which has been renovated and is a lovely place to have a wedding if you want a church wedding but don’t have a church (or yours isn’t available).

I do many destination elopement services at people’s homes, side rooms at restaurants, public parks and buildings, scenic overlooks in the North Georgia Mountains, secret places, places where the couple met or had their first kiss – the sky is the limit when you keep it small and simple.

-Rev. Sam



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me your comments. I review all comments before allowing them to show.

Thanks,
Rev. Sam